No 36 General Hospital (GH) was established close to Mavrovouni (Μαυροβούνι) village, near Skydra (Σκύδρα then Vertekop) on 10th July 1916. The accommodation, originally for 1,040 beds, was increased to 1,540 at the beginning of August. No 37 General Hospital, of an equivalent size, was opened a few days later right next to No 36.
The exact location of 36 and 37 General Hospitals was derived by comparing the landscape of an old photo with a modern one.
During the whole period of their work with the Serbians, these hospitals had many difficulties to contend with as regards rations, sanitation, transport, and evacuation of casualties. They were constantly subject to bombing by enemy aircrafts, and have been used for the reception not only of Serbian sick and wounded, but also for prisoners of war as well as French, Italian and Russian soldiers.
Photos of 37 Hospital (front) and 36 (back) taken from the railway line
In one of the air raids, on 12th March 1917, two of the staff nurses on duty in the 37 GH (Dewar and Marshall) and four orderlies (Cozens, Filkin, Sarfaty and Sowrey) were killed and much damage was done to the hospital tentage and equipment.
Raising the flag in 36 British General Hospital